Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Forward to last year

Today is Tuesday, in two days I will take dose #5 of Enbrel. Other than my hands, I am back to where I was 6 months ago. I can function well enough, but my hands hurt every morning. Morning stiffness is a common complaint of RA suffers, but the issue is how long does it last each day. I had an appointment with an Endocrinologist, my A1C was 6.8, within normal limits, but high. Normal is less than 7.0 My total testosterone was 400, I almost wanted it to be lower, than I might have a reason to blame all recent events on, but it is at the low end of the range. So, with dangerous Triglycerides, high blood pressure, and low 'good' cholesterol, I have spent way too much time reaserching diet in the past few weeks. About two weeks ago I started making some serious lifestyle changes, and I am now a Paleo man. I have stopped eating grains, I sure did eat a lot of cereal, breads and deserts. I also had stopped dairy several years ago. Adding to the list, no more soy, its estrogenic, and I am trying to increase my testosterone, there is a fair amount of health issues related to low 'T', and all the ones I just mentioned are related. I had heard it before years ago from my PCP, but the Endo also mentioned Metabolic Syndrome. I am hoping a few more supplements, and losing weight will shake this problem up. I am down almost 14 pounds from my all time high, lost about 6 pounds since quiting grains. Did I mention I also quit beans(legumes), I am now eating only fruits, veg, and good meats. I have been reading more recently about Saurkraut's health benefits, I continue drinking Kefir daily. Here are some resources for fermented foods. http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/07/the-benefits-of-fermented-food-lacto-fermented-vegetables/ http://paleodietlifestyle.com/fermented-food-recipes/ http://www.wildfermentation.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment